She’s Tougher than Nails!
Well, I’ve done it again! Sorry I’ve been so slow with the posts lately – “bloggers block” I guess? This post has been in my mind lately, or rather collecting dust in my “recent drafts” … so I thought I’d try it out! Does anyone else struggle with biting/picking their nails? I’ve recently been picking my nails (out of habit/anxiety) and I really think it’s time to stop! So starting today (10/22/11) – I’m going to start taking care of my nails. I would do a before photo, but my nails are pretty short and boring, so let’s just say I did. ;) Let’s see if I can grow my nails as long as the ones in the photos above. (I’ve also included some for inspiration below!) So, who’s IN? Oh, I’ve gathered a few tips to help me (us!) out. Enjoy!
- Confront your problem (take a photo, examine nails & list problems)
- Set a start date! (set an alarm, write it on your calendar, or make a blog post!)
- Find inspiration photos of how you want your nails to look.
- Visualize yourself with long, strong & healthy nails!
- Do/get a manicure so you can appreciate your current nails.
- Paint your nails a bright colour so you notice when they’re bitten/picked.
- Pick a “princess/prince” (aka special) nail that you won’t bite/pick. *
- Eat calcium and magnesium rich foods.
- Push your cuticles back to show the “moons” at the base. **
- Find a different (good!) habit to take place of this one.
- Paint a nibble inhibitor on your nails to discourage yourself from biting.
- Put band aids on your nails, and take them off after a couple of days. (if you’re really bad)
- Use a nail filer instead of biting/picking – it’s better for your nails!
Thanks to this lovely WikiHow.com article! | Photos via Google Images
* I did this when I was little and it worked, it helps to focus on one nail and let it grow – you always have the others to bite/pick. (they’ll all eventually be your “special” nails)
** Little fact – Many nail-biters/pickers do not have “moons” on the base of their fingernails – so push those little suckers back!
Hope you’re all having a great weekend!! Also, please share tips?